Posts for tag: Dental Implants
Don't hide your smile, improve it! Cosmetic dentistry in Thornton, CO, can help give you the confidence to smile again. Dr. Christina McMillon of Hearthside Dentistry offers a variety of cosmetic treatments for all your dental needs.
The first thing that most people who want to improve their smile think about is teeth whitening. Regular brushing keeps your teeth healthy, but for a truly bright white smile, you should consider professional whitening. In-office whitening only takes an hour and brightens your smile by up to eight shades.
If you have chipped or cracked teeth your dentist may recommend this treatment. Using a dental bonding material, your dentist will fill and reshape your damaged teeth.
Veneers are another alternative to enhance your smile, provided by your cosmetic dentist in Thornton, CO. They are thin shells that cover the front surface of your teeth to cover imperfections and give you a perfect smile.
If you have one or more teeth that can't be repaired with bonding or veneers or have a gap in your smile, dental implants are an excellent option because they can replace one or more teeth. Titanium posts are affixed to the patient's jaw and it is on these that the replacement crown is bonded, making for a very long-lasting addition to your smile.
Your dentist can find the best combination of cosmetic treatments specifically for you.
If you are interested in cosmetic dentistry treatments in Thornton, CO, please give Dr. McMillon of Hearthside Dentistry a call today at (303) 280-2285.
Have you restored your lost teeth with dental implants? Following a few of these tips and visiting your Thornton, CO, dentist, Dr. Christina McMillon of Hearthside Dentistry, for periodic checkups will help you keep your implants in good condition.
How to Keep Your Implants Healthy
Following these steps will help you protect your new teeth:
- Brush Twice a Day: Brushing removes plaque, a sticky biofilm that contains bacteria. If you brush in the morning and evening you'll reduce your risk of developing peri-implantitis, an infection that can loosen your dental implants.
- Use a Soft Brush: Choose a toothbrush with soft bristles, and use gentle strokes to clean your crown and the base of your new tooth. Whether you use a manual or power toothbrush, brushing is one of the simplest things you can do to protect your implant.
- Choose Low-Abrasive Toothpaste: Whitening toothpaste and those that contain baking soda, charcoal or other abrasive ingredients can damage your implants and crowns.
- Floss Daily: If you've only flossed occasionally in the past, you'll need to make flossing a daily habit now. Flossing keeps bacteria and food debris from collecting under your crown. Poor flossing habits are often a factor in peri-implantitis. You can use string floss, interdental brushes, crown and bridge floss or water flossers to keep the area between your crown and implant clean.
- Avoid Smoking: If you were a smoker in the past, you probably stopped smoking before you received your implant on the advice of your dentist. Smoking can interfere with healing and increase the risk of implant failure. Remind yourself that you could put your brand new tooth at risk if you start smoking again.
- Use an Anti-Microbial Mouth Rinse: These rinses kill bacteria and offer added protection if you have dental implants.
- Let Your Dentist Know If You Notice Gum Changes: If the gum around your implant begins to bleed or you notice that the gum has begun to recede, call your dentist immediately.
- Don't Forget to Schedule Checkups: During your checkups at the Thornton dental office, your dentist will carefully examine your implants to ensure that they're healthy and that your crowns are in good condition.
Protect your dental implants with regular dental checkups! Call your dentist in Thornton, CO, Dr. McMillon of Hearthside Dentistry, at (303) 280-2285 to schedule your appointment.
Thanks to all the amazing dental technology we have at our disposal, it’s now easier than ever to replace teeth with realistic, resilient tooth replacements that look just like the real thing. Find out why more and more people are turning to our Thornton, CO, dentist Dr. Christina McMillion to get dental implants.
How does a dental implant work?
A small metal screw is inserted into the jawbone in the gap where your tooth used to be. To do this, our Thornton dentist will first administer local anesthesia to the area prior to making a small incision the gums, then placing the implant into the jawbone. Several implants can also be placed along the jawbone to support multiple false teeth (e.g. dentures).
How long does it take to get a dental implant?
It can several months to get a complete dental implant. The implant itself, which is placed into the jawbone, will not be visible when you smile. The purpose of the metal post is to support the false tooth, which sits above the gums. It can take several months for the jawbone and implant to fuse together. Once the bone and implant have bonded, then we will still need to place a special piece that links the implant with the false tooth.
This piece is known as an abutment. After securing the abutment on top of the implant, then we can cement the custom crown in place over the abutment.
Who is a good candidate for dental implants?
If you are a healthy adult who is missing one, several or all of your teeth in Thornton, CO, then dental implants could be the ideal way to replace your missing teeth. We will need to check your teeth, gums and jawbone to make sure everything is strong and healthy enough to support the implant. These are things our dentist will discuss with you during your consultation.
Hearthside Dentistry in Thornton, CO, prides itself on providing comprehensive restorative and cosmetic dental care to patients of all ages. Dealing with tooth loss? We can help you.